Monday 14 January 2013

The importance of Facial Masks for mature skin

In my last blog I talked about the importance of exfoliating mature skin here.

This goes in hand in hand with applying a good facial mask straight after.

Why?

Because at no other time will your skin more readily absorb effectively what you put on it, a facial mask is like a vitamin pill for your skin.

Facial masks can de-toxify, absorb excess oil, shrink pores,  increase circulation, replenish nutrients, hydrate and overall tighten and tone your skin.  There are masks for every type of skin and concern you may have.

The best time I find for applying a mask is when I am doing a conditioning hair treatment and my hair is up off my face.

Firstly I exfoliate removing that dead layer of skin cells, a good exfoliate cream or sponge with cleanser works well.  This is beneficial as it allows the mask to be more deeply absorbed into your skin.

 I apply a facial mask and just relax for 15 minutes.

Another important step for me is to apply a hydrating eye cream along with my mask.  Face masks are NOT suitable for the fragile eye area, ONLY  use eye specific products.

Any eye cream you have will do but one I like to use on my mini spa days is;

REVIVA Eye Gelee -  this is a cooling gel which contains Aloe, Cucumber, Collagen and Elastin which helps combat puffiness whilst hydrating.  Available from iHerb.com.


Once you have finished relaxing, jump in the shower and rinse the whole lot off.  Take the opportunity whilst in the shower to exfoliate with a body scrub or loofah.

Don't forget to tone your skin with a splash of cold water to close up all those pores and continue your usual skin care routine.

Some face masks that I am loving...............

ANDALOU Naturals Avo Cocoa Skin Skin Food Mask - This appeals to the Chocolate Addict in me.  Apply to your face,  lay back, breath deeply and float away to Chocolate Heaven.  Cocoa and Avocado anti-oxidant rich, repairs, protects and moisturises.



This is available from www.iherb.com, for a discount off your first order apply this code at checkout; TUW872.  iHerb do ship internationally with very reasonable rates.

DERMALOGICA  Age Smart Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque - Vitamin rich masque, this one really is a vitamin pill for the skin.



Leaves your skin hydrated and absolutely glowing.

MIRENESSE Endless Youth Ocean Milk Mousse Mask - Now this is a fairly new mask that I have started to use, I must admit I have never used anything like it before.  I have added it here because it is worthy of a mention for those busy times when we don't have time to relax but our skin could do with a quick boost.



This is a five minute mask which you apply to a clean dry face ( I like to use this in the morning before I apply my makeup for a quick boost).  It's the strangest mask and I have never experienced anything like it in my life.  Once you apply it to your face it starts to fizz and bubble, it feels really ticklish.  The idea is based on Oxygen therapy which "gives life back" to dull, damaged skin.  Also contains rare red algae which cleanses, tightens and hydrates.  I was very sceptical when I first tried this mask but it DOES work, after I rinsed my face I noticed my skin looked brighter, hydrated and felt smoother.   Definitely a good mask when you want a pick me up but don't have the time for a full on mask treatment.

Okay the last one I want to mention is a totally natural product which I have been using for years, it's cheap and available all year round.

AVOCADO - can be used on its own or mashed up with honey, egg whites, banana, natural yoghurt, oats etc..... can be used for all skin types but is especially good for mature dry skin and hair.



Avocado contains monounsaturated oil and is rich in vitamins and minerals so whether you eat it or slather it on your skin it's doing you good.  Leaves your skin feeling moisturised and oh so soft.

I thoroughly recommend that your exfoliate and face mask at least once a week.  It's not only good for your skin but if you take the time to pamper yourself and relax it's good for your mental wellbeing too.  As a mother of four sons sometimes you just need a little time out.

Please don't forget to comment, I would love to hear what works for you.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment I love to hear from you and I will reply to all x0x